January 6, 2013

Greek Dressing


Once upon a time I lived in Massachusetts, and worked in Waltham.  There was this little Greek place in Belmont, just a couple of blocks from our office, called Andros Diner.  They had THE BEST salad dressing I've ever had in my entire life.....like, EVER.  It was a Greek dressing, but it wasn't the usual Greek dressing.  This one was slightly orange in color, and had crumbles of Feta cheese in it.  They also used it as a marinade for their chicken.  I often ordered a salad with grilled chicken and it was soooooo delicious - the chicken was so juicy and tasted amazing from marinading in their dressing.  Lucky for me they knew it was good, and they had bottles for sale at the counter.  For the two years that I worked in that area, it was the only salad dressing I ever used.  After I left, my former boss would mail me a couple of bottles every now and then because she knew how much I loved it.

Ever since then I have researched and tried to come up with something close to the Andros Greek dressing.  Recently I looked them up because I wanted to see if I could have a couple bottles shipped to my house here in Vermont, and I was saddened to learn that they had shut down!  Such a tragedy.  I will never understand why they didn't try selling their dressing on a larger scale because I'm positive it would have been a huge it!  So this dressing is an ode to Andros Diner - thank you for many years of fabulous food & for sharing your amazing Greek dressing with everyone in your community.

Greek Dressing

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp honey
1 tsp ketchup 
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp spicy brown mustard (or Dijon is fine)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried basil
1 tsp minced garlic

Add all ingredients to a mason jar (one that has a lid) or another airtight container with a lid.  Put the lid on and shake until it is well blended.  Store in refrigerator, but take out 15-30 prior to use so it has time to warm up a little.  

10 comments:

  1. Is this very close to the restaurants recipe? I don't see Feta in the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is, but I was unable to get my hands on the original recipe. I didn't put Feta cheese in mine (this time, anyway)but if you want to try it I'd put in about a 1/4 cup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Andros - how I miss thee!

    I live in Waltham and used to stop at Andros for a Greek salad to go every single Wednesday for a decade. I miss it so much.

    I'll give your dressing a try. Thanks for experimenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it just the best?? It will forever hold a place in my heart :) Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  4. Andros is closed now. I work at Mclean Hospital. We'd always order salads with extra dressing from Andros. Love that you created this recipe. Can't wait to make it.

    Jill from http://jillyinspired.blogspot.com/
    Really love your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I am sure they are greatly missed by those that were regulars around there! If you make it please tell me what you thing - I had to go off of my taste bud memories, so not really sure how close I came. Thanks for stopping by and for commenting!

      Delete
  5. I loved their Greek dressing, but their creamy dill dressing on a Greek salad with their fresh pita bread was my favorite! I've been unable to replicate the creamy dill, but I keep trying. Thank you for this recipe. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The son of the owner of Andros Diner in Belmont, MA has a small restaurant on Pleasant St (Rt 60)
    in Belmont, MA. It's called My Other Kitchen and people are talking about the Greek salad dressing.
    Bet it's the same dressing that was used at Andros'. The best ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The son's restaurant definitely has the original dressing and marinated chicken. It's still amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. visit here f2s48p6a06 Louis Vuitton fake Bags best replica ysl bags h7z34q7a67 replica bags high quality check these guys out z0s92x6d45 replica bags 168 mall replica bags karachi gucci replica handbags a7g59y3g69 replica bags in pakistan

    ReplyDelete